建设控制地带: 东界：海珠北路西侧沿街建筑一线，包括沿街酒店、空调制冷店铺等。南界：净慧路南侧沿街建筑一线，包括光孝寺大门至宁家里之间光孝路两侧的区域。西界：人民北路西侧一线，自北端金沙广场至南侧的新世界大厦南侧店铺。北界: 市府一路南缘一线，包括广州市人民医院沿路的办公楼，以及东侧少量的店铺。
Guangxiao Temple is located on theNo. 109, Guangxiao Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou. It is one of the oldestBuddhist temples in Guangzhou. As the special geographical position, Guan XiaoTemple often acted as a stopover point for Asian missionary monks in the past.According to records of “The Annals of Guangxiao Temple”, the temple site wasoriginally the fifth generation of Zhao Jiande in the Western Han Dynasty.Since then, the Guangxiao Temple was renamed many times. In the twenty-oneyears of Shaoxing in the Southern Song Dynasty, the temple was named as "Baoen Guangxiao Temple", abbreviated to Guangxiao Temple, and the namestill used today.
Guangxiao Temple faces south, 35.36meters wide and 24.8 meters deep. It covers an area of about 30,000 squaremeters by 1990. The main building on the central axis includes the Shanmen,Four Heavenly Kings Hall, Mahavira Hall, Hair Burying Pagoda and etc. In thewest, there are buildings of Da Bei Zhuang, Drum Tower, Sleeping Buddha Halland West Tower. In the East, there are Damour's historic sites - the washingbowl spring, the bell tower, the Jia Lan Dian, the ancestral hall(Liu Zu Dian),the East Tower, and so on. The most important temple buildings are the MahaviraHall, Hair Burying Pagoda, the East Tower and the West Tower.
The Mahavira Hall was originallybuilt in 401 in the Eastern Jin dynasty (317–420) by senior monk Dharmayasasfrom Western Regions. The architecture has the style of the Song Dynasty, whichcontains the double eaves, gablet roof, the roof slope is gentle, the mix ofpost and lintel construction and column and tie construction, and yellow glazedtile surface. Under the Bodhi tree behind the Mahavira Hall, there is the HairBurying Pagoda. In 676 during the Yifeng era (676–679) in the Tang dynasty(618–907), master Huineng cut his hair and received ordination as a monk. AbbotYinzong buried his hair here and built a pagoda to commemorate it. Octagonal inshape and 7.8 meters high, it has 7 stories with 8 niches on each. The East andWest Tower were made by the emperor Liuchang of the South Han Dynasty. Built inthe 963 in the Southern Han dynasty (907–960), the original West Tower was ninestories with tower top, 6.5 meters high, but now only preserves the bottomthree floors. The building was destroyed by the artillery fire in the QingDynasty (1649). There are 1000 embossed Buddha statues on all sides of theseven floor. The East Tower was built in the 967 in the Southern Han dynasty(907–960), Similar to the West Tower, the lotus pedestal is decorated with anexquisite dragon and Pearl ornamentation. The East Tower and West Tower are theoldest existing iron towers in China. In 2001, more than 8000 square meters ofgreen squares and parking lots were built in front of the main entrance of thetemple. From 2003 to 2004, the main building of Guangxiao Temple was renovated.
In March 1961, the State Councilannounced that the Guangxiao Temple was added in the list of "CulturalRelics of National Importance under the Protection of the State".